How To Choose The Right Dentist For Dental Implants?
Inserting dental implants is a commonly carried out procedure. This might be done to replace a single tooth or for multiple teeth. Whilst it’s common, it is, nonetheless, a major procedure that can represent significant outlay. Therefore, you want to be sure that you choose the right professional provider to ensure the best results.
What to Consider When Choosing a Dentist to Carry out Dental Implants
· 7 questions to ask about dental implants
· The pre-dental exam
7 questions to ask about dental implants
Be sure to ask some or all the following questions of any potential dental implant provider.
- What are their qualifications and experience? The minimum qualification should be an MSc or post-graduate diploma in the field of implant dentistry. Many providers will have additional qualifications. Be sure to ask how many implants they carry out each month, as well as whether they’re a chosen provider to whom other dentists refer their patients.
- Ask about the technology and equipment used: Satisfy yourself that they use the latest in advanced equipment and up-to-date technology.
- What implant and bone materials do they use? Different brands are available, so your provider should be able to give you detailed information and evidential support as to their reasoning behind those which they choose to use.
- Ask about their bone augmentation experience and training: In some cases, bone augmentation is a necessary part of the implant process to ensure secure placement. Therefore, it’s a legitimate question to ensure the dentist is experienced in this area.
- Is the dentist experienced in dealing with complications? While these are rare the dentist must be well-placed to deal with any post-procedure issues.
- Ask about hygiene and sterilization protocols: While it should go without saying that these are exemplary, it doesn’t hurt to understand the procedures the dentist has in place. A good dental implant clinician will be more than happy to reassure you about this.
- Determine an approximate price range: While the dentist probably won’t be able to give you an exact price until they’ve carried out a full dental exam, they should be able to provide a rough estimate. You should be aware that cheap isn’t necessarily the best. Dental implants represent a significant outlay, so you want to be sure of the quality of the materials used and the experience and qualifications of the provider.
The pre-dental exam
Once you’ve decided on a provider, then the dentist will carry out a full pre-dental exam. This is where they determine the exact process for your needs. The procedure will be discussed in full, including the time scale for your requirements.
Dental implants are carried out by first implanting a replacement root (made of titanium) into the jawbone. This requires time to heal and allow the bone to grow and secure around the root, so ensuring a strong foundation for the tooth (or crown) to be fitted. Once this has occurred, an abutment (support post) is placed on the implant and the crown is secured on top.
If required, the dentist might place a temporary tooth replacement on the dental implant while you’re waiting for the bone to grow and secure around it. This is done for aesthetic reasons and will be dependent on the location of the dental implant/s and your personal preference.
Contact Kenwood Cosmetic Dentistry for the Best Dental Implants
Kenwood Cosmetic Dentistry specializes in the provision of the most advanced dental implants. Lead clinician, Dr. David Robinson, is a 3rd generation professional who’s a subject matter expert in this field.
Visit https://www.kenwoodcosmeticdentistry.com to book your initial dental examination and take the next step to create a beautiful smile with the latest in dental implant technology.